Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Brad Copping: Reverse Osmosis

Brad Copping interviewed by Tali Dundin in the December 10th, 2010 airing of ArtSync on the occasion of the opening reception for "Reverse Osmosis". Click on picture to watch interview.
"When I am working on a piece, I will start with an initial idea, thought, or vision and the work is honed in the process of making. I will constantly ask questions regarding my next step, if I use this material or this technique, how will it affect the piece, will it clarify or confuse what I’m hoping to achieve. Or will it possibly take it somewhere I did not think of, and hopefully that is a place where the process enlightens me. The work in this exhibition is a retrospective of sorts, a filtered view of some of the larger scale work that I have made. It is an opportunity to apply a similar process to building the exhibition to the one I use when making the individual pieces. All of this work makes reference to water. Water not only roots us and links us to a place – intensifying our relationship to the land, it also conveys us to different places, connecting us to one another. It is a large portion of what we are, what all life is, and that too connects us to the natural world whether we want to admit it or not. These pieces reflect my continuing search for balance and connectedness between people, people and place, and finally within people themselves." - Brad Copping








Raindays (detail), hotworked and carved glass, glass tubing, wood, metal leaf, brass. 2001. 124 x 12 x 12 cm ;
Portage. hotworked and carved glass, wood. 1999. 46 x 148.5 x 48.5 cm;
Seep. hot worked glass, wood. 2007. 183 H x 173 W x 12 D cm.

No comments:

Post a Comment